Hi Ho the Dairy-yo to the Farmer's Market we Go!

It was another early morning for Josh and me. I didn't even brush my teeth or hair for fear of missing out on goodies at the Saint Charles farmer's market.

As we enter the parking lot where the farmer's market, I only noticed a few booths. Josh and I both commented on the scarce amount of farms represented this year. However, quantity doesn't necessarily mean quality. There were a lovely array of vegetables for us to enjoy.

Normally, I will stroll through the market to peruse the wares. This morning I stopped at each stand and bought a few veggies.

The first booth is a daughter and mother couple. We have been their customers for at least two years now. They have goat meat and cheese as well as a very large variety of vegetables. We have been really pleased with the quality of the produce and generally buy an armload each week. This week, I purchased luscious hot house tomatoes that were just the perfect plum size. I snapped up the first crop of zucchini for 75 cents apiece. Josh and I love to grill our zucchini just until done with a little butter, Parmesan, and a cayenne. We have also been known to kabob zucchini or throw it in a stove top fritatta.

Photobucket

The next booth proposed a new crop of zucchini hybrid. This farmer's daughter was very enthusiastic about their hybrids. She insists they are sweet, so I just had to snap a couple of the squat chartreuse vegetables.

As we traveled along the farmer's market row, we noticed a booth with new potatoes. An older gentleman happily informed us that these potatoes were picked just yesterday. Their delicate texture proved this hypothesis to be true.

Photobucket

An elderly gentleman with wrinkly skin and a just as wrinkly attitude had kale and cabbage that I snapped up in two seconds flat. I've never cooked with kale until now, but I yearn to braise the crinkly leaves in some homemade chicken broth. A cabbage-with-rye casserole beckons the cabbage to be slowly cooked in the oven.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I almost screamed with glee when I saw the cherries. Cherries! How lovely they are!

Photobucket

I also scored a big bunch of asparagus, a baking hen, and two London broil steaks.

The total for this excursion was just under 35 dollars. 35 dollars that goes directly to the farmer while I eat a massive amount of delicious local food.

P.S. Basil bunny is a hoot. I was looking all over for him! Basil Bunny were are you? He was gingerly sitting in my recipe box with a very nonchalant expression on his face.


Photobucket

No comments: