Strawberry and Raspberry pickin' we go...

Photobucket

In the wee hours of the morning, Josh and I set out to pick strawberries.
I was sleepy and hot, but definitely eager to start picking.

Photobucket


Josh, a long time hater (gasp) of strawberries, was definitely a happy helper today.
He diligently picked strawberries by the dozen. We left with five pounds. Five pounds of glorious strawberries.

Photobucket

As we stepped onto the farm, we also noticed that raspberries were in season.
It was quite a lovely surprise.

Photobucket

The raspberries and strawberries were quite lovely in their little pint containers.
As I plucked each berry off of the bush, I contemplated what delicious treats I was going to make.

Ice cream? Impossible.
Pie? Maybe.
Jam? Probably.
Shortcake. Of course!

Photobucket

For this shortcake-ish dessert, I made a hot milk cake. It was very tasty, I must say. Very moist. I sliced the strawberries and sprinkled a little sugar on top. As the strawberries and sugar meddled, I made whipped cream. It's my own creation. Although it may not be a secret to some, or anyone for that matter, I poured cream into my kitchen aid on medium speed. As the heavy cream formed soft peaks, I sprinkled a small amount of powder sugar in the mixer with a splash of vanilla. It was so yummy!

After dinner, I assembled my creation: the hot milk cake, strawberries and juice, ice cream, and whipped topping for a divine dessert. It certainly hit the spot.

In the spirit of eating local, I am very pleased to have found a local ice cream: Blue Sky Creamery. I found this by chance as I was searching for some vanilla ice cream today. Blue Sky Creamery has a factory in St. Charles, Missouri. Yes! I am so glad I am able to support a local company.

Also, Please put my parents in your thoughts. My childhood dog, Hannah was put to sleep today. This was a very difficult decision for my parents, but I know that Hannah is in a really good place. My mom said that she is at peace. I love you, Hannah. You were a very good dog and companion to my family for many years.

No comments: