I was fortunate enough to have all of the spices in the following recipe on hand. That excites me.
It excites me more that this recipe turned out to be delicious and easy. I steamed brown rice and warmed naan on the stove, to accompany it. It was a nice addition to my day.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion
2 minced garlic cloves
1 green chili
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon fresh ginger
1 teaspoon tomato puree
1 can kidney beans
1 teaspoon of butter
- heat oil in saucepan and add chopped onion and garlic.
- fry for 5-6 mins then add chilli.
- stir in the turmeric, cumin and coriander followed by salt and garam masala and cook for a minute.
- add grated ginger and fry for a minute then stir in the tomato puree.
- add the drained and washed beans and mix well continuing to fry for another minute.
- pour in 200 ml water, cover and simmer over very low heat for 3 mins until thickens or oil floats to the surface - pour this off if you wish.
- Stir in the butter if you are using it.