I felt like Josh needed some nourishment. He is having trouble with his micro-something-or-other paper that is due tomorrow. And, I neglect him sometimes. There's nothing like a good bitch session and some soup to cure the blues.
I started with Italian wedding soup. This is a surprisingly easy and tasty recipe.
Italian Wedding Soup
1/2 lb of lean turkey
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons of bread crumbs
1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 minced onion
5 cups chicken broth
2 cups of chopped spinach
1/2 cup orzo pasta, uncooked
1/3 cup of julienned carrots
grated Parmesan Cheese
- In medium bowl combine, meat, egg,bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, basil& onion powder; shape into 3/4" balls.
- In large sauce pan, heat broth to boiling; stir in spinach, orzo, carrot& meatballs.
- Return to boil;reduce heat to medium.
- Cook at slow boil for 10 minutes or until orzo is tender.
- Stir frequently to avoid sticking.
- Serve with additional Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.
To accompany it, I prepared Martha Stewart's Baking Powder Biscuits from her baking handbook. Okay, I must confess. I made these I few days ago. So, all I really did was take them out of the freezer and warm them in a 375' oven for about 10 minutes. That seemed to do the trick.
Let me tell you. These are the tastiest biscuits I have ever had....so rich and creamy. You don't really even need to add a thing to them, even though I did include rosemary and basil for a little herb flavor.
Also, Pugapoo has been spotted in some precarious positions on the back of the couch. He seems to have a new found fascination with looking out of the window.
Please note the lazy pug and his useless, non-wagging tail.