Oui Oui Caffe'

Fall is always the time of year that I start wanting to be a coffee (and wine, but that's another story) connoisseur. I don't know. There is a chill in the air, and it makes me want to sip a good cup of coffee with just a hint of cream and sugar. I know. I know. Coffee's flavors are more pronounced when black, but I just cannot do it. I like the way the cream and sugar pair with the coffee.

And I had plans to do this today, except I discovered that the expired milk had been thrown away by Josh. This was probably a good thing.

Needless to say, I didn't have coffee. However, that leads me to explaining how we like to prepare our good Cuppa' Joe.

First and foremost, Coffee brewed in a regular coffee maker does not generally do it justice. The filter prevents the flavors and aromas from the coffee bean from appearing in your cup.

Instead, we start with a Press Pot.

<span onclick=

I begin by boiling a tea kettle on the stove.

<span onclick=

Meanwhile, I put my coffee (Costa Rican La Minita) into the well of the grinder.

<span onclick=


Once the teapot comes to a boil, I press the grind button. French press coffee requires a courser grind. The larger chunks prevent dust from forming in your pot. This can be accomplished from a burr grinder that allows you to tweak the grind of each pot, if needed.



A press pot calls for 1 rounded tablespoon of grounds, per 4 ounce cup.

I put the coffee grounds into the bottom of the press pot and fill it with a few inches of the tea kettle water. It is important that the water is not boiling. That is why I leave it to rest for a few seconds while I grind the beans.

The coffee should then form a bloom in the bottom of the press pot. It bubbles.

Then I fill the rest of the pot with the tea kettle water according to how many grounds I put in it. Again, 1 tablespoon per 4 ounces.
<span onclick=

I put the lid on and let the coffee steep for 2-3 minutes. Then I take a long spoon an stir the coffee.

After that, I am ready to put the lid back on and plunge the coffee to the bottom.

It's ready to drink. Now where's that Intelli Mug?
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Please refer to Coffee Geek's article on French Press Coffee. I double checked my statistics on this website.

I also thank Josh for showing me how to make a press pot. He is wonderful.




1 comment:

Emmy said...

How cool that you have a Press Pot for coffee :-D I've always heard about them. Enjoyed reading your post about it. I'll definitely be a regular reader. I just love your blog's tagline.